Why Media Studies?
Media Studies offers students the opportunity to develop a thorough and in depth understanding of the media and its central role in contemporary culture, society and politics. Media also allows the wider development of creative, organisational and communication skills. The curriculum is delivered using industry standard approaches so that students can gain a broad knowledge of the industry and the growing career needs in this industry in the Yorkshire area.
What will I study ?
Media language – how the media through their forms, codes, conventions and techniques communicate meanings
- representation – how the media portray events, issues, individuals and social groups
- media industries – how the media industries’ processes of production, distribution and circulation affect media forms and platforms
- audiences – how media forms target, reach and address audiences, how audiences interpret and respond to them and how members of audiences become producers themselves
You will study the following media forms:
- advertising and marketing
- online, social and participatory media
- video games
- music video
What are the entry requirements?