Available to study at:
Subject Intent: Why Medical Science?
The Medical Science curriculum equips students with the scientific knowledge, understanding, and practical skills to support progression into a range of job roles within health care, such as carrying out a range of laboratory and scientific tests to support the diagnosis and treatment of disease. There would also be opportunities to progress to job roles working directly with patients, measuring and evaluating particular organs and systems, such as scientists working in neurophysiology. A significant proportion of career opportunities in this sector are at degree level. When supported by other appropriate qualifications, the Level 3 Diploma in Medical Science will enable progression to Higher Education to a range of applied science programmes, such as biomedical science, life sciences, and physiology.
Why should I study this subject?
Medical Science is ideal if you enjoy and are successful at science, especially Biology, and are interested in a career related to healthcare and medical research. Medical science develops key scientific principles and skills to support progress to higher education or employment such as problem solving, organisation and analytical skills. The course is assessed using a mixture of exams and controlled assessment.
What will I study?
• Human health and disease, looks at biological molecules and human body systems.
• Physiological measurement techniques, looks
at how some physiological conditions can be diagnosed.
• Medical Science research methods, looks at how we decide if lifestyle effects health.
• Medicines and the treatment of disease, looks at how medicines work and interact with the body.
• Clinical laboratory techniques, looks at how biochemical and microbiological tests can be used to assess body function.
• Medical case study, a synoptic unit assessing all of the other units and how they link together
What are the entry requirements?
“There were many positives to studying this course, personally I enjoyed simply getting to understand practices in the medical field in more depth. The teaching quality was great, making complex theories much more easier to comprehend. Overall I have had a great experience”
Ariba Akhtar – Laisterdyke Leadership Academy