Subject Intent: Why Sound Engineering?
Music pervades life and is all-encompassing. The Music curriculum helps students develop, engages them creatively and challenges them in an intellectual sense. We intend to unlock our students’ potential through music and instil a genuine love of the subject through listening, composition, performing and analysing music from a wide range of styles and cultures helping students develop a greater sense of appreciation of the power of music throughout the world. It supports the development of a range of transferable skills such as, communication, memory skills, creativity, collaboration and problem solving that students can employ in their next steps whether that be Higher Education or employment.
What will I study?
The course is taught over a series of 5 different units:
- 1. Studio Recording Techniques: learn how to set up and use equipment to record in our studios
- 2. Mixing and Mastering: learn how to mix and master a track to a professional standard
- 3. Live Sound: learn about live sound equipment and how to set it up and run it at a concert
- 4. DAW Production: learn how to use different types of music software to create and produce different musical products
- 5. Working as a Production Team: work in a team to produce an album
What are lessons like in this subject?
Lessons in Sound Engineering are very practical to give students the best opportunities to develop their skills for employment or further study at degree level. You will study both independently and as part of a team, depending on the nature of your task, which means each lesson is varied in delivery. You will have access to our state-of-the-art iMac suite(s), complete with industry standard software and our amazing recording studio with top quality microphones, preamps and other equipment. Finally, the music department are keen to run many different trips for our students to enhance your experience on the course even more. We love to visit industry leading universities and plan to go on music tours overseas, so that you can get real world experience!
NEW COURSE FOR 2023